Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The company you keep

I’ll have what she’s having.

It sounds like a common phrase, but according to a Time article, it
can be a common problem to those trying to lose weight. Their advice
is simple: “Want to lose weight? Avoid Skinny Overeaters?”

The article is based on a study that will appear in the Journal of Consumer Research, which summarized that
“both the size and the consumption habits of our eating companions can
influence our food intake.”

According to the article, “contrary to existing research that says you
should steer clear of eating with heavier people who order large
portions, it's the beanpoles with the big appetites you really need to
avoid.”

Although this study is extremely interesting, I guess it makes sense.
The last thing you need when you have your mind set on eating a salad
is for the skinny person across from you to order the bacon double
cheeseburger and fries (which is probably what I would order – add a
Coke please).

Read about it here, and if this applies to you and you’re friends with
me, stick to your goals and order your salad, I’ll give you a bite of
my burger when no one is looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment